As a company, we have always cared deeply for our people and for our communities. In the current COVID-19 pandemic we know we have an important role to play. Here are all the actions we’ve taken:
The safety of our employees is our top priority. All of our employees are working hard each day to continue providing food and beverages to our consumers in these unprecedented times. We’re incredibly proud of the work our teams are doing to help feed our neighbours, friends, colleagues, and country.
As our employees rise to the new challenges this crisis brings, we’re providing extra support to make sure they’re properly taken care of:
- We have closely followed recommendations by the WHO and Sri Lankan health authorities to implement safe working arrangements. These include safe transportation; temperature monitoring; masks; sanitation and handwashing stations throughout our sites; social distancing at workstations, meetings, the canteen, locker rooms and wherever else applicable; team segregation to avoid the full working force present at one time; and working remotely as far as possible.
- We have increased the frequency of our disinfecting and cleaning at our factory, distribution centre and head office. This is also extended to the company vehicles used to transport our staff.
- We are supporting all our employees with regular communication on safety, hygiene, and health, and have provided guidance for self-declaration and self-quarantining if they or a family member are at risk of infection.
- We have pledged special leave (without reducing sick, annual or other paid leave) in the event an employee is impacted by COVID-19.
- We have expanded our employees’ health insurance benefits to cover online consultations, prescription delivery, and prescribed COVID-19 testing.
- We also asked relevant PHIs in the area to visit our site for inspection and feedback, and were commended on the high standard of hygiene and safety measures implemented. We continue to be in close contact with the PHIs at least once a week as a precautionary measure.
Watch how we have made our factory a safe place to work, so that we can serve millions of Sri Lankans with their favourite Nestlé food and beverages during these difficult times.
*As confirmed by the World Health Organisation, European Food Safety Agency and local health experts, food and beverages are safe for consumption as the virus cannot survive in food processing and storage.
Our suppliers and partners
For the last 114 years, we have cared deeply about the welfare of our farmers, suppliers and business partners. Today, we’re continuing to stand with them by doing whatever is in our power to help protect their livelihoods in this pandemic:
- We are continuing to buy milk from our 14,000 farmers, to ensure their livelihoods are protected in these uncertain times. We are also supporting other farmers unable to find buyers for their milk, by purchasing their milk where possible, to ensure they continue to receive an income.
- We are working closely with our suppliers to help them adapt their processes to work with minimal staff. We are also supporting and guiding them through the protocols necessary to set up operations, in line with national health and safety recommendations.
- To help minimise financial impact for our distributor partners, we are helping them set up mobile stores and home delivery business models, and to supply to e-commerce sites. The company is also providing its distributor sales reps masks, sanitisers and regular guidance on health and safety measures.
Our consumers and community
In times of need, we continue to prioritise supporting and caring for those who need it most.
- We have contributed Rs. 70 million so far to help those impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak. In our second phase of relief efforts, we were joined by our employees, who voluntarily contributed part of their salaries to help those in need with PPE (personal protective equipment) and food and beverage donations. We matched all employee donations on a one-to-one basis.
- These were directed to vulnerable families who had their livelihoods impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, as well as to medical workers and the forces at the center of fighting the COVID-19 pandemic. These included the Infectious Diseases Hospital (IDH), Public Health Inspectors (PHIs), Army and Police.
- We are taking care of our consumers by continuing to ensure food supply, and enabling them to access the food and beverages they know and love in this difficult time. We are also supporting them to cope with the impact of COVID-19, by providing tips to work from home, manage their families, easy recipes for quick nutritious meals, and more.