Innovation has been at the heart of our company since the beginning. Ever since Henri Nestlé invented Farine Lactée, which saved the life of his neighbor’s child and more broadly helped alleviate infant mortality, we have been dedicated to providing innovative, science-based products and services that enhance people’s lives.
Each day we strive to make our products tastier and healthier to help consumers care for themselves and their families. This would not be possible without our unmatched R&D capability, nutritional expertise and passion for quality in everything we do.
Behind every one of Nestlé’s products there is a team of scientists, engineers, nutritionists, designers, regulatory specialists and consumer care representatives dedicated to earn our consumers’ trust with safe products of the highest quality: at Nestlé, safety and quality are non-negotiable.
Our Global R & D Network
We have the largest R&D network of any food company in the world, with over 5,000 people involved in R&D as well as corporate venture funds and research partnerships with business partners and universities.
Our in-house fundamental research takes place in four centres:
- Nestlé Institute of Health Sciences provides and translate biomedical research into personalised science based nutrition.
- Nestlé Research Center provides the scientific knowledge and research base for product renovation and innovation.
- Clinical Development Unit provides medical expertise and manages clinical trials for the company, worldwide.
- R&D Tours provides scientific expertise in plant science.
Proprietary high-tech product development takes place in our 34 Product Technology centres and R&D centres worldwide.
- Product Technology centres provide a critical mass of technology expertise and product knowledge, for one or more of Nestlé’s business categories.
- R&D centres have both a global role and a more local role by meeting regional needs or providing know-how in specific areas of technical expertise, such as system technology, and health sciences.
We also have over 300 Application Groups worldwide. These Application Groups take products developed by the R&D and Product Technology Centres and adapt them to suit the preferences of the local market. All of our much loved brands in Sri Lanka cater to local palates, thanks to the efforts made by our very own Application Group located in our Kurunegala Factory.
Whether it is in terms of convenience, health or pleasure, we are able and committed to create trustworthy products, systems and services that contribute to improving the quality of consumers’ lives.